Thursday, July 06, 2006

WHEN JESUS COMES by Phyllis June 26, 2006

If you were with us at the prayer meeting last week, you will remember us talking about having a guest speaker sometime. During the night I mentioned "when Jesus calls" was going through my head. I put my foot in my mouth and said any of us can be a guest speaker. Where as Sal asked if I would like to do the teaching next week. I thought about it for about 30 seconds and said "yes. "

I went home. On Tuesday I picked up the Bible and figured this will be easy. Nothing came to me. Wednesday, read a little more. Thursday, the same routine. Friday my mind was still a blank. In the evening I was sitting on the front porch. Sal called. "Can you do the teaching? If not, I can do it. Would you like to wait another week? " he asked. I said "No, I'll do it."
Thinking, "I have it!" I went to my book, Stories for the Heart. I found the article "My Heart, Christ's Home." Aha, I'll just read this. This should satisfy. So I read the story. NO. This is not what Jesus wanted. The concept was right but it wasn't my heart. Jesus wanted to come into my heart, as he does to each one of us.

Sal called again Saturday. Are you sure you want to do this. We're having guests so you'll have to speak loud. "Sal, I'll do it." So here goes - some thoughts taken from the text.

When Jesus comes to call, will I know Him? recognize Him? Invite Him in?

KNOCK KNOCK

I open the door - It's Jesus. I let him in, feeling uncomfortable not knowing if I am worthy to have Him as a guest. We enter the library. My library is a bookshelf on the back of my bed, since I don't read many books. There's the morning paper. I have to read the news, the obituary, the funnies and do all my crossword puzzles. Where's my Bible? Did I pick it up today? Did I remember to say my prayers? Maybe yes, maybe no - more often times no.

Boy, am I embarrassed. Put away the newspaper and greet God first. I'll be glad when I do. He will help me get a better start to the day.

From the Library we go to the kitchen - the room of aromas and something on the stove. My impatience and the coffee are both boiling over today. My favorite dishes are my family - husband Dom, sons Dominick and Vincent, daughters Marie and Michele and of course the grandchildren. Atlantic City is a favotie side dish. He sits with me a while and tells me first to please God and the food will satisfy you. There He gave me a taste of doing Dod's will. It alone satisfied.

Next the living room. It's my home - a couch, 2 chairs, 3 cats, tv. Really the living room. Well I am thrilled to have God here. Shut off the tv - open up the Bible and spend some time with God. After all, He is my guest. I cannot make Him feel unwanted. I must make more time for Him!

The craft room! Right now I am working on a pair of booties for my grandchild. Is this what you do for people He asked? "Sure" I said. "Alright, give Me your hands, I know you are unskilled, but through the Holy Spirit I will control your hands and heart." He will work through you. The more I relax and trust in the Lord, the more He can do in my life.

Next, I'm in the car on the way to Atlantic City. I run from machine to machine, putting the change - dollars in. I hit! I can play some more! "Oh Dom, Do you have any more money?" Lord, you certainly didn't want to come with me here. I left Jesus at home and found greed. Lord I know I can't have a good time without you - so please come with me wherever I go.

Next, the closet. Boy, what things are in there. Do I let Him see? We open the door together. He tells me, "Throw out the impatience, smugness, greed, envy, pity of my heart and I will show you how to clean up your thoughts and deeds. I will give you courage, strength, patience, understanding and love. I will satisfy all your needs and wants.

Next - my sanctuary - my backyard and front porch. It is a beautiful place, with birds singing, flowers blooming, green trees, and a garden with fruits and vegetables. God has given me these so I may fully enjoy what he has to offer. We sit and He shows me all the wondrous things He has made for me and given to me in this life. He shows me how my parents influenced me - how I was worthy of a great husband and a beautiful family, plus many, many friends.

These Lord are my riches in life. Jesus is the center. We are all part of his garden and he tends to each one of us in our own public and private lives. He knows who I am, whom I'm with, where I am and every thought and desire. He loves me!

He is not my guest but my Host. Hehas the key to my heart. The Life of the Spirit lives in me!

Go from room to room in your heart and you will find Jesus too!

No comments: