Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11/06

Today is a day to remember.. I watched a little of the memorial service on TV...the persons at the podium reciting the names of the deceased, some brothers, some fathers, some mothers, some children, aunts, uncles, friends, wives, husbands...the list goes on. I could not help but to have those names again tug at my heart just like last year and the years before that. The tears welled up inside of me. I knew one man who died...he went to school in the Bronx in grammar school in my class thru the 8th grade. I remember he was my partner in a St. Patrick's Day Play at my school in 8th grade. We danced the Irish Polka together. So sad to know that he was in the thousands that perished that day. I know of a son of my orthodontist who also perished that day too...he worked on one of the top floors. And I know of a sweet lady from our prayer group who made it out that day all for the sake a cigarette smoke break before a meeting. I still remember waiting to hear if she made it out ok. O.K....well maybe just in speaking... I am sure the events of that day still linger in her mind and will be a part of her forever.

How sad for all of those thousands of people to die through no fault of their own. So many helped others to safety..others tried so hard but their efforts could not get them to safety and so many of them perished also.

Today...a day we will always remember...God help us to remember and not forget ever...but remind us to always pray for those who were left behind to carry on their families. Help us to ask for your grace to be with them always, that you will uphold them in your palms and open your arms wide to them because you know above all, how they are suffering now.

The ones who have died are with you...a roadway was created to Heaven that day, and you have welcomed them. We love them even if we don't know them, because you love them.

God we pray for peace that this never happens again!!!!

3 comments:

christine M said...

This is a beautiful sentiment - thank you for putting it so wonderfully.

The Chemo Gang said...

I just felt that I needed to somehow post a rememberance of yesterday. Thanks for reading.

Anne K said...

Well done, Mary Ann. We were all affected by 9-11 and we can relate to your words. You wrote what I think we all are feeling.